Difference Between Whatsapp Web & Whatsapp Business API. WhatsApp has become one of the most popular messaging platforms worldwide, offering users the ability to connect with friends, family, and businesses. However, there are different versions and features available within the whatsapp ecosystem. In this blog post, we'll explore the key differences between WhatsApp, WhatsApp Web, and Whatsapp-Business API, helping you understand their unique functionalities and purposes.
First Let's Understand by table summarizing the different components of the Whats'app ecosystem:
ComponentDescriptionWhatsAppMobile messaging application for personal communication. Supports text messages, voice/video calls, media sharing, and status updates.WhatsApp WebWeb-based interface that mirrors conversations from the mobile app. Allows accessing and messaging contacts on a computer using a web browser.WhatsApp-BusinessA separate app for businesses to interact with customers. Offers features like business profiles, automated responses, messaging metrics, and label organization.WhatsApp Business APIAn API (Application Programming Interface) for businesses to integrate WhatsApp functionality into their own systems. Provides advanced messaging capabilities and analytics.
WhatsApp is a mobile messaging application available for both iOS and Android devices. It allows users to send text messages, voice messages, images, videos, and documents, as well as make voice and video calls. WhatsApp requires a phone number to create an account and is primarily used for personal communication.
- Instant messaging: Send text and media messages to individual contacts or groups.
- Voice and video calls: Make high-quality voice and video calls to other WhatsApp users.
- End-to-end encryption: Messages and calls are encrypted for enhanced privacy.
- Status updates: Share photos, videos, and text as your status for friends to view.
- WhatsApp Web: Access WhatsApp on a computer through a web browser.
WhatsApp Web is an extension of the WhatsApp mobile app, allowing users to access their WhatsApp accounts on a desktop or laptop computer. It mirrors the conversations and messages from the mobile app onto a web interface, making it convenient to continue chats without switching devices.
- Synced messaging: All messages and media are synchronized between the mobile app and the web interface in real-time.
- QR code authentication: Use your phone to scan a QR code displayed on the web interface to establish a connection.
- Limited functionality: Certain features, such as voice and video calls, status updates, and account settings, are not available on WhatsApp Web.
WhatsApp Business API is a more advanced version of WhatsApp designed specifically for businesses to connect with their customers at scale. It provides additional features and capabilities beyond what's available on the standard WhatsApp application, empowering businesses to offer better customer support and communication.
- Official business profile: Create a verified business profile with essential information such as description, address, website, and contact details.
- Messaging automation: Use chatbots or third-party software to automate responses, send notifications, and provide customer support.
- Rich media support: Send images, videos, documents, and interactive buttons to engage customers.
- Message templates: Create predefined message templates for common use cases like order confirmations, appointment reminders, and shipping notifications.
- Advanced analytics: Access metrics and insights to evaluate the performance of your messaging campaigns.
- WhatsApp Business API account: Requires a separate account and approval process from WhatsApp to ensure compliance and adherence to guidelines.
Here's a table highlighting the main differences between WhatsApp (or WhatsApp Web) and the WhatsApp Business API:
FeatureWhatsApp (or WhatsApp Web)WhatsApp Business APIPurposePersonal and business communicationBusiness communication and automationUser InterfaceMobile application and web interfaceAPI-Integration with business systems and applicationsAccount VerificationPhone number requiredPhone number and business verification requiredMessaging OptionsText, voice messages, media sharingText, voice messages, media sharing, templatesGroup ChatsAvailableAvailableBroadcastingLimited to 256 recipientsSupports larger broadcast listsMessage AutomationLimited automation capabilitiesExtensive automation and Integration possibilities"CRM Integration"Limited or no direct "CRM integration"-Integration with "CRM" systems and other business toolsVerified Business ProfileNot availableVerification process for official business profilesWhatsApp PaymentsAvailable in some regionsNot directly supported, but can integrate with payment providersOfficial SupportLimited support optionsDedicated support channels for Business API customersCostFree for personal usePaid service with usage-based pricing
A: No, WhatsApp Web does not support voice or video calls. It is primarily designed for text-based messaging and media sharing.
A: To use WhatsApp Web, open the web browser on your computer and visit web.whatsapp.com. Then, open WhatsApp on your phone, go to Settings > WhatsApp Web, and scan the QR code displayed on the web page to establish a connection.
A: WhatsApp Business is a mobile application designed for small businesses to interact with customers. WhatsApp Business API, on the other hand, is an API service that allows larger businesses to integrate WhatsApp functionality into their own systems and applications for automated messaging and advanced features.
A: To verify your business on WhatsApp Business API, you need to go through a verification process. This typically involves providing official business documentation and other required information to WhatsApp for verification purposes.
A: Yes, WhatsApp Business API offers features for customer support and automation. It allows businesses to set up chatbots, automate responses, and send predefined message templates to enhance customer interactions and support services.